This email was sent to you by WineRelease.com.
To ensure delivery to your inbox (not bulk or junk folders), please add "nmonnens@WineRelease.com" to your address book or safe list.
Having difficulty viewing this email? View it here.
WineRelease.com's April 15, 2009 Monthly Newsletter. (a day early)
Greetings from WineRelease.com, now 1,319 winery listings strong!
My wife and I fly to Spain tonight so the newsletter is a day early. Next month will be published from Spain.
Over 500 subscribers participated in our subscriber survey. Below are the results (Some responses do not add up to 100% as some skipped questions). For raw results in .pdf format click here
1. Is your monthly wine budget;
Staying the same: 31%
Not surprising that 68% are spending less on wine given our tough economy.
2. How has your wine buying, per bottle, changed.
Buying more expensive wine: 5%
No changes in my wine buying: 50%
Buying less expensive wine: 31%
Half are not changing the price they pay for wine, but 31% are buying less expensive wine.
3. In the past month, what is the average price you paid per 750ml bottle of wine?
Less than $10: 6%
$11 to $19: 28%
$20 to $29: 23%
$30 to $39: 14%
$40 to $49: 10%
$50 to $75: 10%
$76 to $100: 6%
$100 to $150: 2%
Over $150: 2%
The bulk of the wine being purchased (51%) is in the $11 to $29 price range.
4. How many cases of wine have you purchase in the last 12 months (Estimate)?
Less than a case 2%
1 to 5 cases: 20%
6 to 10 cases: 31%
11 to 20 cases: 26%
21 to 50 cases: 17%
51 to 100 cases: 2%
101 to 200 cases: 1%
More than 200 cases: 1%
The majority (57%) purchased 6 to 20 cases in the last 12 months.
5. How many cases of wine have you purchased in the last month?
No wine: 7%
Less than 1: 25%
1 to 2: 37%
2 to 3: 16%
3 to 4: 7%
More than 4: 8%
The majority (62%) purchased 1 bottle to 2 cases of wine in the last month.
6. How many cases of wine do you currently own?
Less than a case 3%
1 to 5 cases: 11%
6 to 10 cases: 11%
11 to 20 cases: 12%
21 to 50 cases: 26%
51 to 100 cases: 14%
101 to 200 cases: 10%
More than 200 cases: 13%
Subscriber cellars are pretty even across the board here.
7. How many wineries have you first heard of on WineRelease.com?
More than 20: 17%
Numbers here are also across the board.
8. Of those wineries you found out first on WineRelease.com, how many wineries have you purchased wine from?
More than 20: 2%
More than half purchased from 1-12 wineries after discovering on WineRelease.com.
9. Wineries, retailers or others offer wine clubs that send members wine on a regular basis. How many wine clubs do you belong to?
More than 10: 6%
Over half (52%) belong to 1-6 wine clubs.
10. Do wine critic scores influence your wine buying?
A full 77% listen to the wine critics.
11. 2. How much confidence do you place in the following wine review sources? (choose n/a if you have no opinion)
Both Wine Advocate and Wine Spectator have high awareness (94% and 97% respectively) but Wine Advocate the clear leader followed by International Wine Cellar, Wine Spectator and Burghound.
On the lower chart, which lists sources based on people who are aware of the sources, Wine Enthusiast and Wine & Spirits have low confidence levels (23% and 21% respectively).
12. Which publications do you subscribe to or read on a regular basis?
Wine Spectator: 84%
The Wine Advocate (published by Robert Parker): 54%
Wine Enthusiast Magazine: 38%
International Wine Cellar (published by Steve Tanzer): 22%
Wine & Spirits Magazine: 21%
Decanter magazine: 15%
Connoisseurs' Guide To California Wine: 10%
Burghound (published by Allen Meadows): 9%
Pinot Report (published by Gregory S. Walter): 9%
WineBlueBook (formerly QPRwines): 8%
Gambero Rosso's (Italian wines): 7%
James Halliday - Australian wine reviews: 4%
The Wine Spectator has the highest subscriber rate at 84% followed by Wine Advocate at 54%.
13. Have you heard of WineBlueBook?
Yes, and I am a subscriber: 6%
Yes, but I do not subscribe: 27%
No, I don't know WineBlueBook: 68%
This is surprising and embarrassing for me since WineBlueBook is our sister publication.
WineBlueBook lists wines by the wine critic scores then sorts by price showing how good, or bad, the value. WineBlueBook also shows you the price you should pay and the wines availability.
For the 68% of you who don't know WineBlueBook (and 27% of you who do but don't subscribe), we are offering a discount on WineBlueBook subscriptions thru next week. For a mere $19.98 a year (saving from the $60 yearly cover rate) you will get 12 issues of WineBlueBook sent to you via email Click here.
And now, on to the show...
May 2009 Wine Releases
- Abacela Winery; 2008 Rosado, Southern Oregon
- Acorn Winery; 2008 Alegria Vineyards Rosato
- Adastra Wines; 2006 Napa Valley Carneros Merlot
- Andrew Murray Vineyards; 2007 Watch Hill Vineyard Syrah, 2008 Sanglier
- Anglim Winery; 2008 Rose, 2007 Viognier, 2007 Cameo Rhone White Blend, 2007 Fiddlestix Vineyard Pinot Noir, 2007 Cabernet Franc
- Banyan Wines; 2008 Madera Viognier
- Barrel Oak Winery; 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon, 2007 Merlot, 2007 Petite Verdot, 2008 Seyval Blanc, 2008 Viognier, 2008 Rose, 2008 Bowhaus White Vidal Blanc/Sauvignon Blanc Blend, 2007 Bowhaus Red Syrah/Chambourcin/Merlot Blend, 2007 Cabernet Franc
- Benton Lane Winery; 2008 Pinot Gris
- Bonaccorsi Wine Company; 2007 Cargasacchi Pinot Noir, 2007 Sanford and Benedict Pinot Noir, 2007 Fiddlestix Pinot Noir, 2006 Star Lane Syrah, 2006 Bien Nacido Syrah
- Cameron Winery; 2007 Dundee Hills Pinot Noir
- Charles F. Mara Cellars; 2006 Russian River Valley Dolinsek Ranch Reserve Zinfandel
- Clos Saron; 2007 Sierra Foothills Home Vineyard Pinot Noir
- Crystal Basin Cellars; 2007 El Dorado Reserve Merlot 2007 El Dorado Reserve Malbec, 2007 El Dorado Reserve Syrah, 2007 El Dorado Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, 2007 El Dorado Reserve Mourvedre, 2007 El Dorado Reserve Grenache, 2007 El Dorado Reserve Zinfandel, 2007 El Dorado Renegade Red, 2007 El Dorado Reserve Merlot, 2007 El Dorado Reserve Cabernet Franc, 2007 El Dorado Reserve Monopole Barbera, 2007 El Dorado Reserve Sweet Petite Sirah 2007 El Dorado Grand Reserve Ascendance Petit Verdot, 2007 El Dorado Grand Reserve Triumphant, 2007 El Dorado Grand Reserve Victorie
- Domaine de Chaberton; 2007 Estate Gewurztraminer, 2007 Estate Pinot Gris, 2007 Cuvee Rouge
- Domaine de Chaberton; 2008 Canoe North Bluff Pink, 2008 Bacchus, 2007 Merlot
- Dutton-Goldfield; 2008 Dutton Ranch Shop Block Pinot Blanc
- Eberle Winery ; 2008 Estate Chardonnay, 2008 Viognier, 2008 Syrah Rose, 2008 Cotes-du-Robles Blanc, 2007 Cotes-du-Robles
- Écluse Wines; 2008 Prelude White Rhone Blend
- Five Star Cellars; 2007 Walla Walla Valley Syrah, 2007 Walla Walla Valley Sangiovese
- Fleming Jenkins Vineyards & Winery; 2006 Napa Valley Choreography Cabernet Sauvignon Blend
- Gamba Vineyards and Winery; 2007 Russian River Valley Old Vine Moratto Vineyard Zinfandel
- Gargiulo Vineyards; 2006 Money Road Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon
- Generations of Sonoma Winery; 2007 Carneros Highway Pinot Noir, 2007 Carneros Highway Chardonnay, 2006 Sonoma County Highway 12 Cabernet Sauvignon
- The Hobo Wine Company; 2007 Rockpile Zinfandel
- Homefire Cellars; 2007 Dry Creek Valley Hales Vineyard Zinfandel
- Judd's Hill; 2006 Lodi Petite Sirah
- Kinkead Ridge Vineyard and Winery; 2008 Estate Bottled White Revelation (Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon Blend), 2008 Estate Bottled Viognier/Roussanne, 2008 Estate Bottled Riesling, 2008 River Village Cellars Rock Springs Vineyard Traminette
- Lachini Vineyards; 2007 Chehalem Mountains Family Estate, Pinot Noir, 2007 Chehalem Mountains Cuvee Giselle Pinot Noir, 2006 Red Mountain Klipsun Vineyard La Bestia Cabernet Sauvigon, 2006 Red Mountain Klipsun Vineyard il Mulinello Red Wine, 2008 Oregon Pinot Gris
- Lange Estate Winery; 2008 Dundee Hills Estate Pinot Noir, 2008 Willamette Valley Freedom Hill Pinot Noir, 2008 Willamette Valley Chardonnay
- Livermore Valley Cellars; 2007 Livermore Valley Pinot Noir, 2008 Livermore Valley Pinot Noir Rose, 2008 Livermore Valley Sauvignon Blanc
- Longboard Vineyards; 2006 Rochioli Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, 2006 Redgrav Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
- Lucas & Lewellen Vineyards; 2005 Mandolina Toccata Classico
- MacRostie Winery; 2007 Carneros Pinot Noir
- Merry Edwards Wines; 2007 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir, 2007 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir, 2007 Olivet Lane Pinot Noir, 2008 Russian River Valley Sauvignon Blanc
- New Clairvaux Vineyard; 2007 St. James Tempranillo, 2007 Poor Souls Barbera
- Nichol Vineyard; 2007 Pinot Noir, 2008 Pinot Gris, 2008 Gewurztraminer
- Novy Cellars; 2007 Sonoma County Syrah, 2007 Susan's Hill Syrah
- Ortman Family Vineyards; 2007 San Luis Obispo County Salisbury Vineyard Pinot Noir, 2007 Paso Robles Sangiovese, 2007 Paso Robles Margarita Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
- Penner-Ash Wine Cellars; 2008 Viognier, 2008 Roseo, 2007 Shea Vineyard Pinot Noir
- Pine Ridge Winery; 2007 Napa Valley Stags Leap District Le Petit Clos Vineyard Chardonnay, 2006 Napa Valley Andrus Proprietary Bordeaux Blend, 2006 Carneros Napa Valley Merlot
- Robert Karl Cellars; 2008 Rose of Cabernet Franc, 2007 Syrah
- Robert Sinskey Vineyards; 2008 Scintilla Sonoma Vineyard Vin de Terroir Abraxas
- San Juan Vineyards; 2008 Puget Sound Estate Grown Siegerrebe, 2008 Afterglow Rose
- Sapphire Hill; 2007 Russian River Valley Estate Pinot Noir
- Schug Carneros Estate Winery; 2007 Carneros Heritage Reserve Pinot Noir
- Siduri Wines; 2007 Ewald Vineyard Pinot Noir, 2007 Van der Kamp Vineyard Pinot Noir, 2007 Sonoma Coast Vineyard Pinot Noir, 2007 Sonoma Coast Vineyard Pinot Noir Halves
- Silvan Ridge/Hinman Vineyards; 2007 Bradshaw Vineyards Reserve Pinot Noir
- Stag Hollow Vineyards; 2007 Yamhill-Carlton District Field Blend
- Tangent Winery; 2008 Edna Valley Albarino, 2008 Edna Valley Paragon Vineyard Viogner, 2008 Edna Valley Paragon Vineyard Riesling, 2008 Edna Valley Trenza Blanco, 2008 San Luis Obispo County Trenza Rosado
- The Terraces at Quarry Vineyards; 2008 Napa Valley Chardonnay
- Thornhaven Estates Winery; 2008 Sauvignon Blanc Chardonnay, 2008 Pinot Meunier
- Thurston Wolfe Winery; 2006 Horse Heaven Hills Cabernet Sauvignon
- Titus Vineyards; 2007 Zinfandel
- Tor Kenward Family Vineyard; 2006 Durell Vineyard Wente Clone Chardonnay, 2007 Tor Rock Hommage Allan Rhone Blend
- Vellum Wine Craft; 2007 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- Vidon Vineyard; 2007 Brigita Clone 777 Pinot Noir, 2007 Hans Clone Pommard Pinot Noir, 2007 Mirabelle Clone 115 Pinot Noir
- Vinoce Wines; 2007 Twenty Rows Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- Whitman Cellars; 2006 Walla Walla Syrah
- Witness Tree Vineyard; 2007 Vintage Select Pinot Noir, 2007 Vintage Select Chardonnay
- Yellow Hawk Cellar; 2008 Rosato, 2007 Kick-Ass Red, 2007 Barbera
- Zahtila Vineyards; 2006 Dry Creek Zinfandel
- ZD Wines; 2008 Napa Valley Rosa Lee Viogner
WineRelease.com's Winery Newsletters and Mailing Lists Sign Up Page: Click here.
The following 9 winery information pages have been updated since March 15, 2009:
Clicking on the above advertisement will open another browser window.
A B O U T : This is the monthly Email published on the 15th of every month by WineRelease.com listing wine releases for the next month. Your privacy is safe. Your email will never be sold, rented or bartered to anyone without your consent.
C O P Y R I G H T : We welcome and appreciate forwarding WineRelease publications in their entirety or in part with proper attribution: Source: 2007 WineRelease.com http://www.WineRelease.com
L E G A L N O T I C E S : While WineRelease.com used its best efforts in collecting and preparing the information published herein, WineRelease.com does not assume, and hereby disclaims, any liability for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions, whether such errors or omissions resulted from negligence, accident or other causes.
S U B S C R I P T I O N S : WineRelease.com is published on the 15th of the month. Subscriptions are free and sign-up is easy, send an Email to email@example.com.
A R C H I V E S : Past wine release information can be found here: http://www.winerelease.com/Past_Releases/Previous_dates.html.
Past newsletters can be found here: http://www.winerelease.com/Past_Newsletters/Previous_newsletters.html
U N S U B S C R I B E : This message has been sent to you because you signed up to receive it. If you no longer wish to receive this monthly Email, reply with the word "REMOVE" in the subject and you will be promptly removed from our mailing list. Alternatively you can write:
1592 Union St. #232
San Francisco, CA 94123