WineRelease.com's September 15, 2004 Monthly Newsletter
Greetings from WineRelease.com, now 986 winery listings strong!
If you read Food & Wine magazine (and according to my May survey, 36% of you do), check out my mug on page 194 of the October issue. The photo was taken in a June afternoon at Ristow Vineyard in Napa.
I launched another wine site QPRwines.com where I research a varietal and vintage and list the wines by the critic's average score, then by price to show the values and not-so values for each score.
So while the average price of a 96 rated 2000 Bordeaux is $324, the 2000 Chateau Leoville Barton (which averages 96 points) retails for $125 which is 39% of the average. At the inexpensive end is 90 rated 2000 Bordeaux which averages $36 while the 2000 Chateau Cantermerle, which received 90 points, retails for $18 (50% of the average).
QPRwines does the math for you and helps you understand if a wine is a value or not at all price points. Sign up here: QPRwines.com.
And now, on to the show...
October 2004 Wine Releases
- Abreu Vineyards; 2000 Madrona Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon, 2000 Thorevilos Cabernet Sauvignon
- Anderson's Conn Valley Vineyards; 2001 Napa Valley Eloge Meritage Blend
- Andrew Murray Vineyards; 2003 "Tous Les Jours" Syrah, 2002 "Hillside Reserve" Syrah
- A.P.VIN; 2003 Garys' Vineyard Pinot Noir
- Araujo Estate Wines; 2000 Eisele Vineyard Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, 2001 Eisele Vineyard Syrah
- Bargetto Winery; 2003 Santa Cruz Mountains Chardonnay
- Barnwood Vineyards; 2003 Sauvignon Blanc
- Beringer Vineyards; 2000 Spring Mountain Marston Vineyard Syrah
- Barnett Vineyards; 2002 Merlot, 2003 Chardonnay
- Blankiet Estate; 2001 Napa Valley Merlot, 2001 Napa Valley Proprietary Red Wine
- Brassfield Estate; 2002 High Valley Syrah, 2002 High Valley Zinfandel
- Briggs Hill Vineyards; 2001 Estate Pinot Noir
- Cakebread Cellars; 2003 Carneros Chardonnay
- Casa Cassara Winery & Vineyard; 2002 Santa Rita Hills Estate Pinot Noir
- Casa Nuestra; 2002 Estate Meritage
- Chameleon Cellars; 2002 Napa Valley Charbono
- Chappellet Vineyard; 2001 Pritchard Hill Estate Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, 2002 Napa Valley Merlot
- Chateau Potelle; 2002 VGS Zinfandel
- Cliff Lede Vineyards; 2001 Stags Leap District Poetry, 2002 Napa Valley Chardonnay
- Clos du Lac Cellars/Greenstone Winery; 2002 Chalaye Blend Grenache/Syrah, 2002 Syrah, 2002 Ghiradelli Zinfandel
- Cole Bailey Vineyards; 2002 Mendocino County Sesquipedalian Cabernet Sauvignon
- Crane Family Vineyards; 2002 Hilltop Selection Merlot
- Dalla Valle Vineyard; 2001 Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon, 2001 Maya Proprietary Red Wine
- Darcie Kent Vineyards; 2002 Merlot
- Edna Valley Vineyard; 2003 Paragon Vineyard Chardonnay
- Emilio's Terrace; 2001 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
- Fire Station Red; 2003 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
- Fisher Vineyards; 2001 Coach Insignia Cabernet Sauvignon, 2002 RCF Merlot, 2001 Wedding Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
- Fountainhead Cellars; 2002 Rutherford Morisoli Borges Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
- Gemstone Vineyard; 2001 Gemstone
- Gnekow Family Winery; 2001 Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel, 2002 Amador Old Vine Zinfandel, 2002 California Cabernet Sauvignon
- Goosecross Cellars; 2003 Napa Valley Pinot Noir
- Grgich Hills Cellar; 1997 Napa Valley Yountville Selection Cabernet Sauvignon, 2001 Napa Valley Carneros Selection Chardonnay
- Groth Vineyards; 2003 Napa Valley Chardonnay
- Hamel Wines; 2003 Sonoma Coast Campbell Ranch Annapolis Pinot Noir
- Hanna Winery; 2002 Bismark Ranch Zinfandel
- Inman Family Wines; 2003 Russian River Valley Olivet Grange Vineyard Pinot Noir
- Kelham Vineyards; 2001 Oakville Merlot, 2001 Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon
- Kenwood Vineyards; 2001 Jack London Cabernet Sauvignon, 2002 Jack London Merlot, 2002 Jack London Zinfandel, 2003 Russian River Pinot Noir
- King Estate Winery; 2001 Pfeiffer Vineyard Pinot Noir
- Laetitia Vineyard and Winery; 2003 Estate Pinot Blanc
- Lake Sonoma Winery; 2003 Russian River Chardonnay, 2003 Dry Creek Fume Blanc
- Landmark Vineyards; 2002 Damaris Reserve Chardonnay, 2002 Steel Plow Syrah, 2002 Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- Larkin Wines; 2002 Napa Valley Cabernet Franc
- Lewis Cellars; 2001 Cuvee L
- Loring Wine Company; 2003 Garys' Vineyard Pinot Noir, 2003 Brosseau Vineyard Pinot Noir, 2003 Rosella's Vineyard Pinot Noir, 2003 Cargasacchi Vineyard Pinot Noir, 2003 Naylor Dry Hole Vineyard Pinot Noir, 2003 California The Llama Pinot Noir
- Mark Ryan Winery; 2001 Ciel du Cheval Vineyard Dead Horse Red Wine
- Paloma Vineyard; 2002 Napa Valley Merlot, 2002 Napa Valley Syrah
- Pelerin Wines; 2003 Santa Lucia Highlands Rosella's Vineyard Pinot Noir, 2003 Santa Lucia Highlands Paraiso Vineyard Syrah
- Phoenix Vineyards; 2002 Estate Merlot
- Ramey Wine Cellars; 2002 Carneros Hyde Vineyard Chardonnay; 2002 Carneros Hudson Vineyard Chardonnay, 2002 Napa Valley Jericho Canyon Vineyard Red Wine, 2002 Napa Valley Diamond Mountain Red Wine, 2002 Napa Valley Claret
- Raymond; 2000 Generations Cabernet Sauvignon
- Red Car Wine; 2002 Richard Perry Vineyard The Fight Syrah, 2002 Thompson Vineyard The Table Syrah, 2003 Thompson and Colson Canyon All Night Radio Red Car Trolley Syrah
- Robert Biale Vineyards; 2002 Napa Valley Aldo's Vineyard Zinfandel, 2002 Sonoma Valley Monte Rosso Vineyard Zinfandel, 2002 Napa Valley Gaudi Carli Barbera, 2002 Sonoma Valley Valsecchi Vineyard Zinfandel, 2002 Napa Valley Falleri Vineyard Zinfandel, 2002 Zappa Napa Valley High End Red Blend, 2001 Napa Valley Old Crane Ranch Petite Sirah
- Robert Craig Wine Cellars; 2001 Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon, 2002 Amador County Zinfandel
- Sea Smoke Cellars; 2002 Botella Pinot Noir, 2002 Southing Pinot Noir, 2002 Ten Pinot Noir
- Sebastiani Vineyards and Winery; 2002 Appellation Selection Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, 2002 Appellation Selection Alexander Valley Merlot
- Seghesio Family Vineyards; 2001 Chianti Station
- Skewis Wines; 2002 Mendocino County Anderson Valley Floodgate Vineyard Pinot Noir ($45, 175 cases produced), 2002 Mendocino County Anderson Valley Demuth Vineyard Pinot Noir ($35, 200 cases produced), 2002 Sonoma County Russian River Valley Bush Vineyard Pinot Noir ($42, 165 cases produced)
- Thumbprint Cellars; 2002 Dry Creek Valley Pedroni Vineyard Cabernet Franc
- Toad Hollow Vineyards; 2003 Cacophony Zinfandel
- Troon Vineyard; 2003 Estate Druid Fluid Red Wine (Syrah/Zinfandel/Cabernet Sauvignon)
- T Vine; 2001 Napa Valley Brown Vineyard Zinfandel, 2001 Napa Valley Frediani Petite Sirah, 2002 Contra Costa Duarte Vineyard Syrah
- Viader Vineyards; 2002 V (Petit Verdot blend)
- Victoria Estate Winery; 2002 Black Sage Orchards Reserve Pinot Noir, 2003 Chardonnay
- Waugh Cellars; 2002 Spring Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon Released October 2004
- ZD Wines; 1992-2003 Abacus VI Cabernet Sauvignon
WineRelease.com's Winery Newsletters and Mailing Lists Sign Up Page: Click here.
The following 38 winery information pages have been updated since 8/15/2004:
- A.P.VIN; United States: California: Central Coast: Santa Lucia Highlands
- Abacela Winery; United States: Oregon: Umpqua Valley
- Amusant; United States: California: Napa Valley
- ANIMALE; United States: Washington State
- Audelssa Estate Winery (formerly Schaefer Sonoma Vineyards); United States: California: Sonoma County: Sonoma Valley
- Bogle Winery; United States: California
- Briggs Hill Vineyards; United States: Oregon
- Byington Winery; United States: California: Santa Cruz Mountains
- C.G. Di Arie Vineyard and Winery; United States: California: Sierra Foothills: Shenandoah Valley
- Carter Cellars; United States: California: Napa Valley
- Casa Nuestra; United States: California: Napa Valley
- Chalet Estate Vineyard; Canada: British Columbia
- Chappellet Vineyard; United States: California: Napa Valley:
- Chase Family Cellars; United States: California: Napa Valley
- Cliff Lede Vineyards; United States: California: Napa Valley
- Clos du Lac Cellars/Greenstone Winery; United States: California: Amador County
- Cole Bailey Vineyards; United States: California: Mendocino: Redwood Valley
- Downing Family Vineyards; United States: California: Napa Valley
- Duckhorn Vineyards; United States: California: Napa Valley
- Fulkerson Winery; United States: New York: Finger Lakes
- Goosecross Cellars; United States: California: Napa Valley
- Grgich Hills Cellar; United States: California: Napa Valley: Rutherford
- Halleck Vineyard ; United States: California: Sonoma County: Sonoma Coast
- Herb Lamb Vineyards; United States: California: Napa Valley: St. Helena
- Lorca Wines; United States: California: Napa Valley
- Marilyn Merlot; United States: California: Napa Valley
- Provisor Vineyards; United States: California: Sonoma County: Dry Creek Valley
- Robert Sinskey Vineyards; United States: California: Napa Valley
- Rocca Family Vineyards; United States: California: Napa Valley
- Roessler Cellars; United States: California: Sonoma County
- Rutherford Grove; United States: California: Napa Valley
- Selby Winery; United States: California: Sonoma County: Russian River Valley
- Shafer Vineyards; United States: California: Napa Valley
- Skewis Wines; United States: California: Sonoma County
- Troon Vineyard; United States: Oregon: Rogue Valley
- Victoria Estate Winery; Canada: British Columbia
- Wilson Winery; United States: California: Sonoma County: Dry Creek Valley
- ZD Wines; United States: California: Napa Valley
By The Barrel Winemaker profile with Mia Klein of Selene Wines
Selene's Mia Klein, a consulting winemaker noted for her work at Dalla Valle, Fisher and Bressler wineries, focuses on Merlot and Sauvignon Blanc for her own brand, Selene Wines.
Klein studied enology at U.C. Davis and worked for Chappellet and Robert Pepi, and has consulted at Spottsoode, Araujo and Viader.
What was the first wine you remember tasting and where were you?
Sauvignon Blanc - Shrimp Pot Restaurant (where I was working at the time).
What is your most memorable food and wine experience?
A wine dinner after my first harvest at Chappellet, we all cooked a dish, and chipped in for a bottle 1949 Chateau Calon Sequr.
What is the funniest wine descriptor you have heard?
What do you want to tell the beer drinkers of America?
Try Moonlight Brewing Company’s Death and Taxes!
If you weren’t a winemaker, what would your occupation be?
A Crane Operator.
What childhood talent did you have that came in handy in your wine life?
What part of your job do you most enjoy?
I enjoy hearing a wine turned a meal into a shared special moment..
What is your wine motto?
Drink what you like.
For your last supper, what will be the food and wines?
Bbq’d Hog Island Oysters with Billecart Salmon Brut Rose. Grilled Duck Breast with ’49 Ch. Calon Segur St. Estephe. Salad w/ Cheese course - Tellegio, Aged Gouda, Piave with ’92 Maya. Apple Empanada a la ZuZu’s with ’75 Don Pedro PX.
First Crush New winery profile of Provisor Vineyards
Located in on the edge of Dry Creek Valley in the Lytton Springs District of Sonoma County, Provisor Vineyards planted 3.5 acres of Syrah (clone 99 from Beaucastel) in the red rock soil.
Their crop thinning practice helps develop and concentrate the flavors before it is aged in a mix of new and old French oak barrels. 2002 is their first vintage release of 440 cases of Syrah and will be released next month.
This issue's worthwhile wine site to visit is Robin Garr's Wine Lovers Page.
Robin manages the oldest, largest and most popular independent wine-appreciation site on the Web.
The site features forums, wine reports, intro to wine articles, tasting notes and his popular "30 Second Wine Advisor" newsletter.
Please forward this email to your wine friends so they can enjoy it as well.
Till next month!
Wineries listed in red are sponsors of WineRelease.com.
A B O U T : This is the monthly Email published on the 15th of every month by WineRelease.com listing wine releases for the next month.
C O P Y R I G H T : We welcome and appreciate forwarding of WineRelease publications in their entirety or in part with proper attribution: Source: 2004 WineRelease.com http://www.WineRelease.com
L E G A L N O T I C E S : While WineRelease.com used its best efforts in collecting and preparing the information published herein, WineRelease.com does not assume, and hereby disclaims, any liability for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions, whether such errors or omissions resulted from negligence, accident or other causes.
S U B S C R I P T I O N S : WineRelease.com is published on the 15th of the month. Subscriptions are free and sign-up is easy, just send an Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A R C H I V E S : To see past wine release information visit http://www.winerelease.com/Past_Releases/Previous_dates.html. If you would like to see past monthly newsletters visit http://www.winerelease.com/Past_Newsletters/Previous_newsletters.html
U N S U B S C R I B E : This message has been sent to you because you signed up to receive it. If you no longer wish to receive this monthly Email, reply with the words "REMOVE" in the subject and you will be promptly removed from our mailing list. Alternatively you can write:
1592 Union St. #232
San Francisco, CA 94123